Thursday, July 29, 2010

Follow-Up to my Target/Best Buy Post

I want to address some concerns that I have had and that other people have pointed out after my last post. First, I am not solely focused on a single issue. I simply happen to express my views about LGBTQ stuff more than others, partly because LGBTQ issues have long been ignored. However, it now seems other issues are being ignored. I can't say I support one thing about Tom Emmer, after looking at his platform (which I read over before contacting anyone or posting about his anti-LGBTQ views). I also, to use a cliché, jumped on the bandwagon of criticizing Best Buy and Target.

I read an enlightening post from the Bilerico Project today, which I encourage you to read if you have time.
To highlight some of the key points, Tom Emmer wants to cut several departments, including the Department of Human Rights, and subsidies for peoples' homes (i.e. programs that help people find places to live). After those cuts, Emmer would be able to afford giving big businesses tax cuts.
And, all in all, this is supposed to create jobs. Hah!

So, Emmer is bad for everyone except the big businesses. Now that corporations are considered people (more so than before) and their political contributions are speech (therefore protected under the first amendment), things like this are bound to happen again. Big corporations will continue to donate to candidates that will help their profits the most, which is generally republicans who are generally less on the side of equality and fairness.

I have known that big corporations have many issues. But, I have continued to give them business (with exceptions--I have not spent money at Wal Mart in years, for example). From this point forward, I will minimize the money I spend at large businesses and try my best only to support businesses that have my interests in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment