Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Why GenderQuery?

Last night, as I was attempting to fall asleep in this blisteringly hot weather, my brain must have gone fuzzy and started putting homonyms together. Somehow, "genderqueer" and "query" were mushed together, and I woke up startled. "That's it!" I said to nobody but myself. "That's what we'll call this blog."

Why GenderQuery? Why this particular play on words?

Trey and I thought long and hard about a blog title. We wanted something that would encompass both of our identities and gave the blog a sense of purpose. As a feminist, I am concerned with gender, gender roles, gender identity, and how the rules many societies invented to divide everybody into two and only two discernible genders affect every one of us. I have thus queried gender, asked questions of the construct, and questioned the construct itself.

Trey is genderqueer, which is the word "GenderQuery" is based on. I am sure ze will discuss that much more in zir blog posts.

Together, the two of us will continue to ask difficult questions, and hopefully, contribute meaningful writing to the blogosphere. Welcome to our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment